Vacancy for a PhD position
Cellular immunotherapy - "CAR" "NK" cells
Glycostem Therapeutics is a clinical stage company located in the Netherlands that harvests the potential of allogeneic cells (like natural killer (NK) and dendritic cells (DC)) in the field of cellular immunotherapy. The company uses proprietary approaches to grow, expand and differentiate effector cells from Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB). We are participating in a recently funded Marie Curie Training Program that will allow us to enhance the potential of our immunotherapy platforms. As part of this program, we are seeking a talented PhD-student who will carry out cutting edge research into the development, optimisation and validation of NK-cells carrying a chimeric antigen receptor (CAR). The addition of such receptor will enhance the specificity and efficacy of our NK-platform against various cancers.
- Carry out experimental research in the field of NK cell biology and vectorology
- Execute, analyse and report on the results of these experiments
- Present findings internally and at international conferences
- Contribute to the overall activities of the research team
- Prepare and submit papers to peer reviewed journals
- Prepare and defend a PhD dissertation
Experimental skills to be acquired:
- Isolation of CD34+ hematopoietic stem cells isolated from cord blood
- Molecular cloning of (synthetic) DNA into viral transfer plasmids
- Various approaches that modulate expression of NK-cell-related proteins via overexpression, CRISPR/Cas9, shRNA, miRNA, etc.
- Production of (GMP-grade) viral vectors
- Viral transduction or transfection of CD34+ cells into CD34+CAR cells
- Expansion and differentiation of CD34+CAR cells into CAR-NK cells
- Biological and functional activity tests of CAR-NK cells
Duration of employment:
- 4 years (September 1st, 2018 - August 31st, 2022)
- Due to the nature of the Marie Curie Training Program, this opening is only available to European nationals who have not worked for more than 12 months in the Netherlands in last 3 years prior to start date.
- Master degree (MSc.) in (bio)medical, biological sciences or equivalent
- Committed to high quality research
- Strong background in cell biology and molecular biology
- Good oral, written and presentation skills
- Well-organised with attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Commitment to work within strict health and safety guidelines
Do you have what it takes?
Please convince us by sending your motivation and CV in English to Bianca Eve (Bianca@Glycostem.com) and you will hear within two weeks if we would like to invite you for an interview.
Want to know more?
E-mail our HR department at Bianca@Glycostem.com for more information about Glycostem and the selection process.
Recruiters should not contact us.
Please be aware that your application means that the information you provide will be shared by and with HR and the employees who are involved with the procedure. In case the procedure with you ends, your application and provided information will be deleted within four weeks after the moment you have been informed. Your name and date of application will be registered in our database for statistical use and status only. By applying you agree with and have taken notice of these conditions.